KUALA LUMPUR– Starting July 1, the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) will blacklist the names of traffic offenders who have yet to settle their outstanding compound fines.
Its director-general, Datuk Salleh Yusop, said a total of 1,174,445 compound notices were issued to vehicle owners for various traffic offences last year, while another 310,966 compound notices were issued in the first four months this year.
“Of the total, only 15 per cent of them have paid the compound fines. This shows the irresponsible attitude of the traffic offenders. What’s worse is that they will repeat the same offence again and again,” he told reporters after closing the workshop on blacklisting procedures on traffic offences here today.
Salleh said those who did not settle their outstanding compound fines must be prepared to face the implications if they were blacklisted under the Road Transport Act 1987.
He also expressed hope that the blacklisting would create awareness among vehicle owners on the importance of adhering to traffic regulations in the city and to settle their outstanding compound fines.